World Down Syndrome Day 3:21!
21 March 2017 marks the 12th anniversary of World Down Syndrome Day. Each year the voice of people with Down syndrome, and those who live and work with them, grows louder.
Down Syndrome International encourages our friends all over the world to choose your own activities and events to help raise awareness of what Down syndrome is, what it means to have Down syndrome, and how people with Down syndrome play a vital role in our lives and communities.
In 2017, we will focus on enabling people with Down syndrome (and those who advocate for them) to speak up, be heard and influence government policy and action, to ensure that they can be included, on a full and equal basis with others, in all aspects of society.
Working with our global network, the campaign will:
- Explain why it is important for people with Down syndrome and their advocates to speak up and influence local, national, regional and international policy makers.
- Explain what the key policies are which affect the lives of people with Down syndrome and how they can ensure full society inclusion if implemented.
- Explain how advocates can get involved – from media campaigns to direct political advocacy.
- Explain how to empower people with Down syndrome (and those supporting them) to advocate for themselves and provide accessible tools to facilitate this.
We will be encouraging people with Down syndrome to say #MyVoiceMyCommunity and we will ask everyone to respond to our call by sharing and showing the world how people with Down syndrome participate in the community alongside everyone else. You can take part simply by sharing details of WDSD activities or by photos, messages, quotes or in any way you choose, using the hash tag #MyVoiceMyCommunity as well as #WDSD17.
Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) pictures of your child with friends and actively participating in their community (sports, employment, volunteering, clubs, etc…) to be included in a video celebrating our members on #WDSD2017!
Check out the 2015 Community Champions honored this year and years past!
2014 Community Champions
2013 Community Champions
Random Acts of Kindness is the 2017 WDSD U.S. Focus. Generate awareness and acceptance within our community by doing Random Acts of Kindness and leaving one of the following cards for others. Create a movement of kindness for one another and be sure to share your pictures on social media for others to see.
Download and print random acts of kindess cards above here.
Random Acts of Kindness Ideas
More ways to create a social media buzz!
- Share 31 Facts About Down syndrome!
- Make a donation of $3.21 to DSG!
- Shop the DSG Awareness SWAG Store!
- Support DSG EVERYDAY by being a volunteer!
- Join D.A.D.S. KC!
- Buy Tri-21 Custom Blend coffee!
- Change your profile picture to +1TM #plus1 - Download
DOWNLOAD A COVER PHOTO