Down Syndrome Guild of Greater Kansas City
5960 Dearborn Street, Suite 100
Mission, KS 66202
First Downs for Down Syndrome
Gaining Ground for a Winning Cause
For over 15 seasons First Downs for Down Syndrome (FDFDS) has teamed with the Kansas City Chiefs offensive line and area sponsors to raise money for individuals in our community with Down syndrome. For each first down made, funds are raised to support individuals with Down syndrome.
The mission of First Downs for Down Syndrome is to raise money for the Down Syndrome Guild, the Down Syndrome Clinic at Children’s Mercy Hospital and other Down syndrome organizations; to raise awareness of Down syndrome and the services of Down Syndrome Clinic at Children's Mercy Hospital
Down Syndrome Clinic
at Children's Mercy Hospital
The Down Syndrome Clinic serves as a consultative service and screening mechanism for children with Down syndrome from birth through adolescence, following the Health Care Guidelines created by the National Network of Medical Clinics for Children with Down syndrome.
An experienced team of professionals with an expertise and interest in Down syndrome meets twice a month to review and evaluate the specific needs of each child. Together, they problem solve and strive to improve the quality of life for the child and the family.
The team consists of:
- A pediatric geneticist, who monitors the overall medical well-being of the child.
- A genetic counselor, who helps educate parents and identify the different types of Down syndrome.
- A registered dietitian, who provides nutritional assessment and dietary counseling to ensure appropriate growth and weight gain and identifies nutritional problems and concerns.
- An audiologist, who evaluates hearing.
- A speech pathologist, who evaluates articulation and language skills and makes treatment recommendations.
- An occupational therapist, who provides diagnostic screening and, as the child grows older, makes recommendations regarding appropriate educational programs and services within a school district.
- A behavioral psychologist, who works closely with parents on assistance with developmental skills such as toilet training, general recommendations for discipline and behavior management, and assists with coordination with the school district if requested.
- A parent coordinator, who assesses the needs of the family, coordinates services and is a resource for programs in the community.
- A parent volunteer, who draws from personal experience as a parent of a child with Down syndrome to support families and provide a link to the Down Syndrome Guild.
Families and professionals can make appointments or referrals by contacting:
Down Syndrome Clinic at Children's Mercy Hospital
2401 Gillham Road
Kansas City, MO 64108
DSG is also proud to partner with and provide finanical support to the following national organizations:
DSG is also proud to partner with and receive finanical support from the following local organizations.
MarksNelson provided DSG with a generous $2,000 donation to support our mission.