The Down Syndrome Guild of Greater Kansas City offers resources for parents and educational professionals to better serve children with Down syndrome. We offer a variety of publications and trainings to assist educators. Please review our most recent issue of DSG's Inclusion Solutions Newsletter which is chock full of tips and tools.
How Does DSG Help Families & Schools?
Download information about programs provided by the DSG to help families and schools.
Getting to Know Your Students
Want to get to know your student with Down syndrome better? Invite your student's parents to complete DSG's All About Me Booklet so you will understand the best way to engage and work with your student. Check out the list of Common Accommodations for Students with Down Syndrome and Tips for Working with Individuals with Down Syndrome (for paras or support professionals).
Home-School communication is critical to helping a student with Down syndrome succeed academically and socially. See some sample communication logs here, here, and here that your IEP team may consider implementing.
CHECK OUT OUR LIST OF UPCOMING SEMINARS AND WORKSHOPS FOR EDUCATORS BELOW:
DSG is here to help!
Additional Topics for Educators:
- Learning Profile & Memory
- Post Secondary Opportunities
- Classroom Support
- Curriculum Support, Modifcations & Accommodations
- Websites & APPS!
General Educators, Para Educators, Administrators, Therapists, Caregivers and Assistive Teachers
How to Support Students with Down Syndrome
- Down Syndrome Connection of the Bay Area
- Down Syndrome Victoria
- Down Syndrome Association of West Michigan
- Primary Support Pack - UK
- Secondary Support Pack - UK
- Down Syndrome Association of Central Texas
- Big Red Safety Toolkit by National Autism Association
- DSG Down Syndrome 101 handout
- Policy Statement on the Inclusion of Children with Disabilities in Early Childhood Programs 2015
- Peer Presentation Activities
- NDSS Get To Know Me Lesson Plan
- Films to show
- Books to Read