Down Syndrome Specialist Program
Our Parents and Schools in Partnership Program promotes collaborative relationships between DSG and local school districts to effect positive outcomes for students with Down syndrome and their families. Special Education Directors are invited to breakfasts during the year to learn more about DSG and community resources that benefit their district and the students with Down syndrome.
A significant education connection is made as directors are encouraged to designate a staff person within the district to be the DSG Down Syndrome Specialist. The DSG Down Syndrome Specialist receives a resource binder, free registration to DSG sponsored educational events, DSG mailings and regular updates on research and best practices. They are also invited to breakfasts throughout the year to share feedback with DSG on their district’s unique needs. In some instances DSG provides individualized consultation and training for districts in need. DSG proudly partners with 45 school districts who have named Down Syndrome Specialists.
DS Specialist Meetings
Register for DS Specialist meetings below. Every meeting is different and is adapted to fit the changes and needs of the group. Come with questions, concerns, positive and negative feedback, struggles, and successes. Be prepared to share with the group and absorb useful information to take back to your district. We hope you will be able to attend all 4 meetings, but if you are unable to, please come to all you are able to attend.
Thurs., Sept. 13, 2018 from 8:30-11:30AM: Breakfast will be served.
Tues., Dec. 4, 2018 from 12:30-3:30PM: Lunch will be served.
Thurs., Feb. 21, 2019 from 8:30-11:30AM: Breakfast will be served.
Thurs., May 9, 2019 from 12:30-3:30PM: Lunch will be served.
DS Specialist Kit
- Down Syndrome Connection of the Bay Area
- Down Syndrome Victoria
- Down Syndrome Association of West Michigan
- Primary Support Pack - UK
- Secondary Support Pack - UK
- Down Syndrome Association of Central Texas
- Big Red Safety Toolkit by National Autism Association
- DSG Down Syndrome 101 handout
- Policy Statement on the Inclusion of Children with Disabilities in Early Childhood Programs 2015
- Peer Presentation Activities
- NDSS Get To Know Me Lesson Plan
- Films to show
- Books to Read
- Taking Down Syndrome to School
- My Friend Has Down Syndrome
- My Name is Colin
- High Fives and a Big Heart
- We'll Paint the Octopus Red