October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month!
As an advocate for value, acceptance and inclusion of people with Down syndrome, consider some of the following ways to celebrate, raise awareness and foster acceptance throughout the community! #DSAM2015
1. Carry Out a Random Act of Kindness—every day of the month
2. DSG is active in social media — follow us and share/re-tweet/re-post to start an online conversation!
3. Register, Donate, Create a Team or Join a Team for the Step Up for Down Syndrome Walk on October 17, 2015!
4. Be an Active Member—Events are FREE and are for you! Are you looking to meet other families? Are you looking to learn? Check out the DSG Calendar of Events.
5. Educate — friends, family, and community members with factors, stories, news articles or videos
6. Share Videos—See a list from YouTube below!
8. Send a photo to DSG—we are always looking for high resolution images of our members
9. Volunteer—at events, on a committee or consider applying to the Board of Directors
10. Register with the NIH Down Syndrome Registry
11. Ask a local business to donate a portion of sales to the DSG
12. Provide a copy of the Healthcare Guidelines to your physician
13. Distribute an OB/GYN packet to your doctor at your next visit.
14. Got SWAG? We will have new shirts for kids and adults at the Step UP Walk! Shop Now!
15. Help Fundraise for DSG—Dress Down, Band Together, or Ask your employer if they have a donation matching program. DSG needs your help so that we can continue our programs and outreach to benefit our community for the years to come. Contact DSG for more information.
16. Make sure you are signed up for our DSG E-blast Newsletters
17. Have your mayor make a proclamation—Download a template from DSG
19. Social Media Blitz -- Change your Facebook profile picture or cover photo. Visit www.kcdsg.org/Awareness.php for awareness photos. Post a picture-a-day of your loved one with Down syndrome. Share videos fostering awareness like “Just Like You” or “Don’t Limit Me.” Re-post, re-tweet, pin to Pinterest and hashtag #DSAM2015
20. Ask Your Local Library -- to set up a display of up-to-date books about Down syndrome. If they don’t have a set, purchase a DSG Book Bundle for them! Request a letter from DSG to send to your local library.
21. “Me Too” -- Submit photos of inclusion in action to firstname.lastname@example.org for a “Me Too” video to celebrate awareness in our community. (i.e. You like music? Me too!)
Email email@example.com to request DSG materials to help with any of the above suggestions. Go forth and create awareness!!!
Share a Video A Day!
View 31 videos highlighting the lives, abilities, and possibilities for people with Down syndrome in our community. #DSAM2015
Have your mayor make a proclamation recognizing October as Down Syndrome Awareness Month. Download a template from DSG
Dine Out for DSG!
Print the flier and bring it with you to 54th Street Bar & Grill inLee's Summit on Oct. 7, 2015 between 11AM-11PM and 15% of your check will be donated to the DSG in celebration of Down Syndrome Awareness Month!
Download Coverphotos for Facebook