DSG is celebrating Down Syndrome Awareness Month by giving away one iPad every day! You must be a resident of Kansas or Missouri living in DSG’s service area to enter this contest. Enter to win!
Download Coverphotos for Facebook
October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month!
It is the perfect chance for you to take a few moments and educate others on what Down syndrome is and how loving someone with Down syndrome has impacted your life. The DSG hopes you will consider some of the following activities when you are thinking about celebrating Down Syndrome Awareness Month.
1. Host an AWARENESS Day at your School or Office -- Contact DSG for kid-friendly stories to read or check-out a copy of Just Like You - Down Syndrome to show. Request a "Dress Down Kit" or "Band Together kit" and raise awareness at your school or office.
2. Eat Bread to Raise Dough! -- Contact DSG with a date and Panera location to set-up a fundraiser! Panera will donate a portion of the proceeds. Email email@example.com
3. “Me Too” -- Submit photos of inclusion in action to firstname.lastname@example.org for a “Me Too” video to celebrate awareness in our community. (i.e. You like music? Me too!) Download a "Me Too" lesson plan for your classroom HERE.
4. Show A-Wear-Ness -- and sport your DSG, Step Up Walk or other Down syndrome gear in the community. Send photos to email@example.com
5. Join a DSG Committee -- Help spread the mission of the DSG to the KC Metro area by volunteering on one of our 5 committees. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application to join Public Awareness, Public Education, Diversity, Development or Prom committees
6. Register on DS-Connect -- Participate in the national DS registry to help support research and share de-identified statistical data about your family member with DS through survey questions to further research. dsconnect.nih.gov (20 minute survey)
7. Ask Your Local Library -- to set up a display of up-to-date books about Down syndrome. If they don’t have a set, purchase a DSG Book Bundle for them! Request a letter from DSG to send to your local library.
8. Pick Up a DSG Information Packet -- and deliver it to your OB/GYN to share with patients.
9. Social Media Blitz -- Change your Facebook profile picture or cover photo. Visit www.kcdsg.org/Awareness.php for awareness photos. Post a picture-a-day of your loved one with Down syndrome. Share videos fostering awareness like “Just Like You” or “Don’t Limit Me.” Re-post, re-tweet, pin to Pinterest and hashtag #DSAM2014
10. Visit a Local Restaurant or Business -- that employs people with Down syndrome. Thank the manager and share the business with others. Contact the DSG for a list of businesses around the Kansas City Metro Area.
Email email@example.com to request DSG materials to help with any of the above suggestions. Go forth and create awareness!!!
Share a Video A Day!
View 31 videos highlighting the lives, abilities, and possibilities for people with Down syndrome in our community. #DSAM2014
Down Syndrome Guild of Greater Kansas City
5960 Dearborn Street, Suite 100
Mission, KS 66202